Looking for something? Look it up here!

Tuesday, November 29, 2016

7 Interesting Things during our Yangon Adventure


I've always always wanted to visit Myanmar (Burma). I've been bugging my friend, ever since we started to travel, to have time to visit this country. I even made an itinerary and budget proposal just to convince her. However, due to schedule constraints, we were destined to visit the country at different times. No biggie. It was an opportunity for her to start solo travelling and for me to do as well. However, with a stroke of luck, I found a friend to share the adventure which was not bad at all. 

During our trip, I found these interesting things in Yangon:

1. Largest City: Yangon

This is the former capital and is the largest city of the country. It has a population of nearly six million which makes it the most important commercial center. It was November when we visited the city, which is already considered winter season but the temperature is almost 33 degrees. 

At the airport, we caught a taxi towards our hotel. We paid around 12,000 MMK for the ride and enjoyed the views on the way. Its a busy and exciting city. 


Before our trip started, I knew that Yangon was known for its traffic. We decided that it would be best to stay in a central place so that some of the places can be reached by foot. Another friend shared this very helpful map of Yangon Downtown.


2. Men wearing longyi

One of the first interesting things I noticed when I arrived in Myanmar is of men wearing longyi. A longyi is a sheet of cloth about 2 meters long and wrapped around the waist. Growing up and living in countries where men wore jeans or shorts, this was a very new thing. The longyi certainly suits the climate as it allows air to circulate and can keep women (and men) cool in the humid weather. 


2. Gold almost everywhere

The country stands by its recognition of being the Golden Land. Gold as the most precious metal can be seen in pagodas and accessories. Most pagodas are covered in gold leaves. The following places were where we saw the glistening gold.

a. Shwedagon Pagoda
Entrance Fee: 8,000 MMK (9 USD)
(Optional) Longyi Rental: 3,000 MMK
(Optional) Tour Guide: 10,000MMK


The visit would be incomplete if we did not set foot at this place. It is said to be 2,500 years old and enshrines strands of Buddha's hair and other sacred relics. From 8.2 meters, it now stands to about 100 meters and is covered with hundreds of goldplates. At the top of the stupa is where diamonds are located.

It also consists of other temples, statues and stupas and there were a lot of people praying and walking around. I would've sat around the grounds and stare in awe longer if I was just wasn't very hungry :)


One thing to remember is to leave your shoes at either of the entrances of this pagoda. I saw some visitors were allowed to bring their shoes in a plastic bag. Since we didn't know, we were allowed to leave our footwear with a local watching over it. Afterwards, she gave us some wet tissues to wipe our soles and in return of her labor, we gave her a donation.

b. Sule Pagoda
Entrance Fee: 3,000 MMK (2 USD)

This pagoda was very near to our hotel and we opted to just stare at it from a distance. It is 48 meters high and was decided as the center piece of Yangon  because of its strategic location, religious significance and artistic beauty.


c. Botataung Pagoda
Entrance Fee; 6,000 MMK

The name of this pagoda means 1,000 military leaders. When eight hair relics of Buddha arrived to Yangon from India, a guard of honour of 1,0000 military leaders was formed to pay respect to the relics.

I was particularly amazed with the golden walls of the main stupa. The stupa was hollow and visitors can walk through it while seeing several chambers that contain ancient artifacts protected by glass containers.


The main stupa from the outside. We were able to walk around and saw a pond filled with turtles.


3. Currency: Kyat (pronounced as chat)

I've read ahead that crisp USDs are the only notes accepted by money exchange stalls in Yangon. I have not tried this as I came from Thailand. I had no problem changing Baht to Kyat in the airport. Although, I have seen a number of money exchange down town as well.

As per google, 1 USD is around 1,200 MMK.

I'm thankful that my friend is good in Math and money. I was confused at the first sight of currency. Though Vietnam and Indonesian currency is also with a lot of zeroes in them, I'm still not used to it but later on got the hang of it :)


4. Heritage Walk

Our hotel was down town and with the use of the map (photo above), we tried to discover the places that we can reach by foot. This is the Mahabandoola Garden which is just a stones throw from the Sule Pagoda. I guess it is nice to hang out here and do people watching. There were also a number of stalls that sell food and drinks outside this park which means that one can never go hungry.

We wanted to do some heritage walk as the map suggested but the heat was so intense. There were nice old buildings in this part of town. I particularly liked this clock tower at the background. 

I almost forgot to write down that before we entered the park, 1 young boy in monk clothes came to us for donation. When we gave him some, another came to ask for the same thing. Although amused, we politely refused to give again. Later down the street, we found them. This time they were eagerly watching a man counting down the money they amassed. 


5. Food


I'm lucky to have an office acquaintance/ Facebook friend who lives in the city. Dr Chaw Su saw my Facebook post notifying that I was in Yangon. I truly appreciate her time to see me amidst her busy schedule. We were brought to a popular Myanmar Restaurant called Feel Myanmar Food. 


I've read blogs recommending this place and I could not have found it without Dr. Chaw inviting us. This long running place is where a big choice of freshly made dishes on display and all we had to do was point what we'd like to try. It was lunch time and the place was so full and busy. 

We were so full by the time I was done with my meal. The Myanmar food we ordered were so delicious though a bit oily. Then dessert was served. This was plate was delicious as well as the one after it. I was really very full I did not finish all. 



6. Friendly people

Aside from Dr Chaw, I observed that Myanmar people are very friendly. The staff in our hotel was very helpful and happy to answer our questions. While walking in the park, these men approached us. They were students and they came to us to practice their English through a conversation with us. They also tried to invite us to come to another island just near the city and reachable by ferry. However, we had a bus to Bagan to catch so we refused.


7.Bookshops

I love reading and I love books. While studying the city map, I found that there were a lot of book shops. True enough, during our short walk, I saw book shops along the street. Some were books in their language and some were in English. It's great to see them everywhere though I was not able to find one book that I liked, I enjoyed browsing through some interesting titles.


It was such a short and sweet stay in Yangon. We barely had enough time to see other interesting places such as the Reclining Buddha, Karaweik Palace and others. In the future, I may come back and see more. Thank you for reading and 'til next blog! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment