Looking for something? Look it up here!

Friday, November 30, 2018

My Son Half Day Tour 2018

Since I cannot travel yet, I am reminiscing about the travels I had at the beginning of 2018. I will try to remember them as best as I can as I feel that a lot of things have happened after coming to Australia and starting a new life. So here it goes..

One of the things that we did in Hoi An, Vietnam was visit My Son Sanctuary. The temples built there were from the 4th to 13th century. We booked our ticket through the Sinh Tourist shop in Hoi An. We could have easily bought it online but we chose to physically get it from the shop the day before the tour. We originally planned to have the sunrise tour but it was not available. We then decided to just do the half day bus tour for 99,000 VND or 5 USD. 


At 8am the following day, we were picked up by a bus from our hotel. I remember it wasn't full and only a total of about 10 people. I remembered I was sick from cough and colds during this time but I can still manage to smile for a good photo! It's really hard to be sick while travelling, over the counter decongestants helped me to live during these times lol


It was a 2 hour drive from Hoi An and we arrived at about 10am. The guide collected the entrance fee from each of us which was about 150,000VND or 7 USD. 


We thought that we were to trek to where the ruins are. Here is the main entrance of the protected site. 


I was so excited to see the ruins but I cannot see it from here. We stopped after crossing this land bridge to ride a shuttle bus to get us nearer the ruins. The ride lasted for about 2-3 minutes. 


Then our guide showed us this miniature model of the whole place. Giving us the details of where we are to go and of course the history of the place. 


There were a lot of tourists with us and it was quite difficult to get a good photo but nonetheless it did not bother me. 



These tower temples were constructed over ten centuries. The Champa's unique culture owed it spiritual origins to the Hinduism of the Indian sub continent. With this influence, many temples were built to the Hindu divinities such as Krishna, Vishnu and above all Shiva. 


I love that our guide was very knowledgeable and explained a lot of things about the ruins but still I could not remember any of them. I was just awed at how the temples were still standing even if they were made centuries ago.


During World War II, many tower temples were damaged. However, conservation work has been carried out and have been maintained and preserved. 


Weather conditions especially the rain, has made the temples conducive to plant growth. 


We were given ample time to explore on our own as well. 


By 12 noon, the tour has finished and we arrived back to Hoi An at 1pm. 

It was another tick off my bucket list of Unesco world heritage sites! For me, nothing beats the temples of Ayutthaya in Thailand but I could not be more lucky to have the chance to visit both sites in this lifetime. 

Thank you for reading and 'til next blog!




No comments:

Post a Comment