Looking for something? Look it up here!

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Things to do in Ho Chi Minh City -part 2

To continue..

5. Try out Pho

Pho is a Vietnamese noodle soup consisting of broth, rice noodles, a few herbs and either beef or chicken. This is one of the country's most popular dish and I have seen a lot of restaurants advertising this as their specialty.


For our Pho experience, we chose the restaurant named Pho 2000. This is conveniently located near Benh Than Market and is near an intersection, it can't be missed. The place is famous for being visited by President Bill Clinton when he visited the city.



Wincee and I were still full that we decided to share just one bowl of soup and ordered another dish which consisted of shrimps wrapped in a lumpia wrapper ( I forgot the name but I loved it.) The place was quite expensive than other regular Pho restaurants. We spent 4 USD each for dinner.


6. Visit the War Remnants Museum


Entrance fee for this museum is 1 USD per person. It showcases a photo exhibit of the times when Vietnam was being raided by the Americans and its effect on the country. There were gruesome images of how the countrymen suffered and stories detailing how people suddenly disappeared and found dead. I also saw a list of journalists/ media men killed or lost in the line of duty.


Weapons such as bullets and firearms as well as machine guns and helicopters were displayed. It helps much to know how the country came to be and how they rose from the ashes of their past.


7. Explore the City

There are a lot of beautiful buildings to see around the city. The Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral is one of them. This is located at a very peaceful and picturesque side of the city. Looking at it somehow reminds me of Harry Potter (I don't know why).

We approached the Cathedral from the back.


This is the front.


Very near to the Cathedral is the Saigon Central Post Office built around 1886- 1891.


The building is still being used for traditional postal services. When we got inside, it did not register to me that I was in a post office. The interior design is gorgeous.


These are phone booths inside. I remember when I was a child and we had to go to a store with telephone booths to call our relatives.


These are just few of the things that can be done while in Ho Chi Minh. If we stayed longer, I'd probably gain a few kilos because they serve delicious dishes.

Also, we'd try and go to Jollibee. (There's no Jollibee in Thailand.) We tried to locate the Jollibee store but we were unsuccessful.


Hopefully, if I can go back there in the future, I'd like to have the Mekong River tour and maybe visit another town.

Thank you for your time. See you on my next blog post. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment