Looking for something? Look it up here!

Thursday, July 16, 2015

7 things to do on a cross-country bus

We headed on to Phnom Penh, Cambodia after our short visit in Vietnam. There are a lot of bus companies and travel agencies scattered in the city that can help tourists with this.

This is also what we did when we traveled from  Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh and from Phnom Penh to Siem Reap. These trips are about 6-8 hours each, so while being on the bus here are my suggestions to keep busy.

1. Get Wifi Password from the bus staff

Stay connected while traveling along borders. You can use this to stream music or upload real time photos to update your current status. This was my uploaded photo status on my Facebook account while we were in the bus.


2. Take in the view

I always loved traveling by land and enjoying the view. I was wondering why the houses were on 4 stick poles and always elevated from the ground while the land was very dry.  I knew later on that these areas get flooded really bad and so they built elevated houses. I was not able to take a photo of the houses but this dry and barren land was a long stretch so I was able to take one.



3. Make new friends

The person sitting in front of us was kind enough to answer my question of what fruit he brought when the bus stopped. He was very happy to tell us all about it and on how to eat it.

This is a lotus seed pod.


4. Eat something new

The lotus seed pod is actually a local snack. Our new friend showed us how to open and eat it.
So I tried to eat what the locals do - eat a lotus seed.



5. Have a decent snack/ meal

The bus ticket usually includes a bottle of water. We're lucky this company also provided their clients with snacks. This is the snack box given to me while on board. It is actually a good idea for marketing as well. As far as I can remember, there were 2 kinds of bread inside.



6.  Review the upcoming itinerary.

Wincee and I would regularly check our itinerary so that we can make necessary changes and not forget what to do next. This is essential as we have to make sure to have time for the places we need to visit.

7. During breaks, don't hesitate to stand up and go off the bus even just for a while.

It was around 6 in the afternoon when we stopped by a restaurant to eat. We were still full so we just decided to go out of the bus, walk a little bit and buy some fruits.


These are just a few suggestions while waiting to arrive at the next destination. There are still a lot of things that can be done. Hope ya'll have a safe trip. See you on my next blog! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment