Looking for something? Look it up here!

Monday, February 29, 2016

Malacca Weekend

Malacca has always been on my list of travels for a long time. I really wanted to visit one of the UNESCO World Heritage Site in Malaysia. The place is about 2-3 hours drive from Kuala Lumpur and it was just my luck to have found cheap flights to Malaysia's capital on my rest day. I contemplated about buying it or not but eventually I did.


I arrived at Malacca at around 3pm and just dropped my bag at the hotel. Time was running fast so I immediately went out to explore the place. On the way to the center, rows and rows of Sino-Portuguese inspired houses were lining the one way street.




At long last, I am able to personally see Chirst Church Melaka. This is an 18th century Anglican Church in the city of Malacca. It is said to be the oldest functioning Protestant Church in Malaysia. 


There were lots of colourful trishaws parking near the Church. Surely it would be fun to ride in one of those but I opted to walk. 


The view on the bridge heading to Jonker's Street. This is the Malacca River which flows through the Malacca City. This was a vital trade route during the heyday of Malacca Sultanate during the 15th Century. I saw the Malacca River Cruise gliding along the river and through most of the old town area. 


It was around 5 in the afternoon when I stepped on Jonker's Street. It was a weekend and the stalls for the night markets were being prepared little by little. This is where I got to eat a lot of stuff that I haven't had time to take pictures of. I was either too excited to eat or too hungry from all the walking. All I can remember was the dishes I tasted were delicious and I was full after every meal. :)


We climbed up to the summit of St. Paul's summit and found St. Paul's Church. This is a historic church building that was originally built in 1521 making it the oldest Church building in Malaysia.


The building at my back is the surviving gate of the A Famosa, a Portuguese fortress located in Malacca. It is among the oldest surviving European architectural remains in South East Aisa. 


I decided to wear red on the day I went there. Most of the buildings in the City Center were also red, I could have easily camouflaged :-P


This was my first out of the country trip for 2016. So glad to have achieved one on my bucket list. Thank you for reading and 'til next blog!. 

No comments:

Post a Comment