Looking for something? Look it up here!

Monday, October 10, 2016

Silom Thai Cooking School

I've never been really into cooking. It was only eating that I was interested in. Until I had to cook for myself so that I can replicate the Filipino dishes from home and save some money. 

My colleagues encouraged and helped me get the recipe right. I enjoyed cooking the same dishes until I came to think that I can also learn to cook Thai while in Thailand. Inspired by a friend who took a cooking class whilst in Chiang Mai, I set out to the goal. However, Chiang Mai is far from me and Phuket has expensive classes. I grabbed the chance to attend one when I went to Bangkok for an official business.


I chose Silom Thai Cooking School because of the great reviews and their afternoon class. I booked online and noted the meet up point of which is Silom Soi 11. I arrived 5 minutes ahead of time and found there were a lot waiting with me.


The staff appeared on time and asked to get our voucher. We were then grouped and introduced to our teacher. She led us right away into the market to start our afternoon session.

It was fun because they gave us wooden baskets each and she explained the ingredients that we needed. She then placed some ingredients to each of our baskets and so we carried it to the school with pride :)



Arriving at the school, she made sure that our things were locked in a secure cabinet and that we wore an apron and our hands washed clean before beginning the lesson. First thing was a discussion and activity wherein we extracted coconut cream and coconut milk.


Then we had to transfer to another room wherein the ingredients were placed and we were instructed on how to cut them.



When we were ready, we brought our trays to the real cooking area where the gas stoves were.

I was eager to listen on when to turn on the stove and to mix the ingredients. Our teacher was very helpful in taking our photos as well as giving clear instructions and encouraging everyone that all we're doing good.



There are different menus for each day of the week and because I attended the class on a Tuesday, we cooked:
Tom Yum Goong


Pad Thai 


Curry Rice


Fish Cake


and she taught us how Mango with sticky rice was prepared. 


We had to eat every after cooking. At the end of the class, I was so full! The teacher was kind enough to let me pack my Mango with Sticky Rice for take away. 

All of us we're given a recipe booklet to take home for instruction and souvenir!

I was so happy to have attended the class and make one of my goals come true. A really good and memorable experience I had while in Bangkok.


Thank you for reading and 'til next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment