Looking for something? Look it up here!

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

MONA 2019

One of the things I planned to do while in Hobart was to go to the Museum of Old and New Art. It is Australia's largest private museum and one of the most controversial private collections of modern art and antiquities in the world.


There are various ways to get to MONA. One is via the MONA Ferry from Brooke St. Pier. in Hobart. Second is to drive and third is to take the Mona Roma bus. I chose the third one because it took me directly from the airport and can drop me back to the city thereafter. Cost for the return transfer was 22AUD. I booked my transport just after I touched down at Hobart Airport. 


Arriving into Mona, I could see that there was a vineyard and some other buildings in the compound before I could reach the museum. The view from outside the museum was awesome.


I just had to show my confirmation email's barcode so I can go into the museum. The staff asked me to leave my bag in the locker they provided.

One has to start from the basement and work themselves up to see the entirety of the museum. Some people took the lift down but I chose the stairs.


A bar greeted us downstairs and just up ahead was where people could claim their device. I was not able to put my email to the device so it didn't send me the list of names of the galleries and art displays that I have seen so I will try to remember them here as much as I could. There were many classifications of the things there but these were what fascinated me.

The first display was this wall with water spelling random words. I tried to capture the words on my camera but I succeeded only once.


Different words were formed from the water sprouts installed on top of the wall. Very unique.


Then a room with mirrors that made me appear multiple times.


A room where people lined up to throw glass bottles and break them into pieces. Interesting. I was not able to throw one because there were only 3 bottles left when I joined the long line.


Clear plastic bags with water in them.


There was a display wherein only one person at a time could come in and we had to queue from our device. When it was your turn to go into it, the device would display a yellow ticket.


A room that made me look like an alien? I swear this is not a filtered photo.


Well the room gave out these bright lights that made me look like a cartoon character when I took a selfie inside it.


The view from one of the cafes inside the museum. Relaxing after going through halfway of the museum.


This is awesome. The wind draws the lines from a wind turbine from the outside.


The wall of vaginas.  One of the reasons that I knew and aimed to visit  MONA.


2 goldfishes in a bowl with a knife. I liked the commentary for this art. If I remember it right, it was about perception and fear of danger.


This is the fat car. In a world where people would always aim to have the better things or bigger things - the fat car has materialized.


I spent a good 2-3 hours in the museum before it was time to take the bus again this time to the city. It was nice finally seeing MONA for myself and I could say bucket list ticked!

Thank you for reading and 'til next blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment