Looking for something? Look it up here!

Sunday, November 8, 2015

Laglag Bala

As an overseas worker who misses home so much, I try to keep updated with the news back in the Philippines. It's not difficult to keep updated now with the various social media channels that are available to all via the internet. A few months earlier, my country had the issue of Balikbayan boxes being opened by customs officer who are trying to check either illegal smuggling of undeclared goods. The sad thing is that most, if not all, of these boxes were delivered incomplete to the intended receivers. A lot reported that many goods from their boxes were stolen. The issues did not end there. 

Now, the new issue we have in the Philippines is about laglag bala or bullet dropping. Reports have it that the personnel of the Ninoy Aquino International Airport would drop a bullet on the bags of unsuspecting passenger. When these bags pass by the xray, they would then inform the passenger to open the bag revealing the bullet. From the articles that I have read, most of these bullets are found on bag pockets. The personnel would then inform the poor victim that they would be taken to the police and will have a criminal record because of the possession of the ammunition. They would then offer another option, of course in secret. This charge will not be reported to the police and no record will appear if the poor passenger can provide a large amount of money. Extortion at its finest.

There was a Filipina OFW that was victimized with this scam. She was flying back to Hongkong where she works as a domestic helper. This is her way to help feed and provide for the needs of her family. I believe she has been coming back and forth from Hongkong to the Philippines and this particular time, she was found with a bullet in her bag. I strongly believe that the bullet was not hers What is she going to do with a bullet? Why would she jeopardize her name and her job with bringing a bullet to the airport where there is maximum security? The poor woman served a few days in jail and was brought out on bail. Of course, she missed her flight and in addition have to shell out cash for the bail. This is just one of the many stories of the victims of this latest Philippine airport scam.

Filipino people are now calling out to the Philippine government regarding this issue. It has been found out that this scam has been going on for years already. Netizens urged everyone to keep an eye on their bags and provided options on how to avoid it. 

This photo I found on Facebook depicts having not only check in bags but also carry on bags to be wrapped. Surely no open pockets will be prone for bullet planting. 


Funny photo I saw again from Facebook. To be sure not even  your own pockets are vulnerable for bullet dropping. I wonder how he breathes, though.


Netizens also have been posting tips on do's and don'ts in case a bullet has successfully found its way into your bag. One of the sensible tip is to not to open the bag and ask for the presence of a lawyer or a police. Also, not to touch the bullet found inside your bag. This will prevent ones fingerprint on the bullet and may be a strong evidence pointing out that the bullet is not owned by the bag owner.

I am sad that this unscrupulous act is happening in my country. How can they expect people to be calm while in the airport. I have been on a solo backpacking trip last week and every time fellow backpackers would know that I am from the Philippines, they would exclaim that they plan to visit my country one of these months. I begged for them to delay their visit. It hurts me that I cannot promote my own country because of this scam. I am ashamed to encourage them to have a holiday on our beautiful islands because I do not want them victimized. I hope the government would stop putting on a deaf ear to these complaints and issues. It is important to us overseas workers, or travelers, to feel safe when we arrive and depart Philippines. It makes us feel proud that our country would be well known as kind and smiling people and not this extortionist kind of bastards. 

Every time I travel to airports of other countries, I feel a pang of jealousy. They have clean restrooms, kind staff and efficient systems. Why can't this be in the Philippines, too? Why are the airport personnel tarnishing the name of our country all for the love of money? Having a lot of money is good in this life, it can help us buy whatever we want but in the end it cannot be brought with us to heaven. And that is where we will be judged of all the actions we did here on earth.

I pray for the Philippines to get thru this and for the airport personnel to stop their scam.

Thank you and 'til my next blog!





No comments:

Post a Comment