Looking for something? Look it up here!

Thursday, January 8, 2015

Krabi Getaway part 2


While on the road to our first destination, we decided it was best to take a photo of this scene in front of us. A lot of limestone hills can be seen throughout the trip. There is actually a cave in this particular hill which amazed us even more.

After struggling with the GPS, travelling along rough roads because we got lost and figuring out where to go, we finally arrived to the place where the Emerald Pool was. Parking fee was 30 Baht. This was the scene going to the main entrance. There were a lot of stalls selling food and refreshments.


The entrance to the Sanctuary.



We were asked to pay 200 Baht for the entrance fee. There were a lot of guards in the place. The guards even checked our bags. They did not permit tissues and food inside as they are afraid people would litter and spoil the cleanliness of the place.

We took the bridge route to see the pool. It was 1,200 metres! Whew! From the brochure we got at the entrance gate, I've learned that we are to walk in a forest called the low land ever green forest of Khao Nor Ju Jee.


Glimpses of a river can be seen while walking. I noticed that the trees were labelled with their specific names. If I was a Biology Major student, I would have been very amazed. This low plain forest has a high biodiversity and is a watershed with diverse species of wildlife.  It is said that each year, a lot of tourists who are bird watchers come to see at least 300 species of birds in this forest.


There were crossroads too. Inevitably, it led to the same pool.


One will never get lost. There were signs here and there.


We thought this was it. But nope. We were just amazed how the waters reflected the trees perfectly.


We have arrived!


Word of caution for tourists.


Emerald Pool or Sa Morakot is named because of the green color of the water. This resulted from the species of bluish green seaweed living in the hot spring.When the sun shines, the seaweed and the bacteria living in the water will have a reaction, making the waters look green. There were a lot of tourists taking a dip on the pool as it was already around 10am when we arrived.



This pool had an origin. We still have to hike a few meters to Sa Nam Phut (Spring Pool).


The trail was not easy as before. The bridge route stopped and because a lot of people came before us and it may have rained the night before, the walkways were muddy.


Nearing the spring pool, I heard a few people clapping. I thought it was a communication thing like morse coding, so I clapped my hands too while nearing the pool.


This is Sa Nam Phut (Spring Pool).


This is formed from the hot spring under the earth's crust. The bacteria and sea weed species adjusts their color to blue because the water temperature is high. It is said that when tourists visit the pool and clap their hands, the spring will pop up more quickly. (That explains the clapping!) There seemed to have a lot of ripples too while the tourists did clap. Swimming is not allowed here due to the deep water and the sucking mud.


We decided not to dip in the Emerald Pool as we planned to visit a hot spring. Going out of the forest, we took the gravel road this time which was only 800 meters. 

A short drive from the sanctuary was where Nam Tok Rawn is located. There was an entrance of 90 Baht this time. We walked about 150 meters to the hot spring this time.



The waters here come from thermal springs originating deep underground in volcanic chambers. There were natural hot tubs where 2 or more persons can stay. This is the only photo I got because I was excited to try it myself.


Just sitting there and feeling the warm water massage us made us hungry after. Well partly due to all the walking we had too! After changing to dry clothes, we had lunch in one of the eateries at the Hot Spring entrance gate.


Our next stop was the Tiger Cave Temple. It is located about 9 kilometers from Krabi Town.



The actual tiger cave is just one of a complex of natural caves set into the limestone cliff in which the monks live and meditate. It got its name as some reported that there were tiger paw prints set into the wall, others said that an actual tiger used to live in it. Another said reason for its name is because of the rock outgrow nearby that resembles a tiger's claw.


This is the highlight of the place (for me).


I was eager to climb and be at the top. The steps were so steep. A number of people were climbing with us. This little guy was even beating my pace.


The first 100 hundred steps were okay. I can still manage a smile.



But, believe me it was hard for me to reach the next 200 steps. This was me smiling with all my might.


Until I told my friend I cannot continue climbing anymore. This is me saying to myself I'm going to die if I continue this. I was thirsty and my legs were hurting. 


My friend continued to climb and these were what he saw on the way to the top.

Monkeys.


Statues of bells.


Posts with markers of how many steps one has reached so far.


The reward once you reach the top.


Awesome. Just awesome.




I waited for my friend so we could come down together and fool our other friends that I made it to the top too. I guess this photo spilled the beans. I was smiling while he was very haggard.


Well, at least I tried! :)


Please watch out for my next post :)













No comments:

Post a Comment