Looking for something? Look it up here!

Thursday, January 29, 2015

28 January

Today, 28 January 2015, marks my first year from leaving my homeland and working abroad. 

I can still remember that faithful day of 28 January 2014. As I hugged our dog, Cody, goodbye and walked out from the room that my sister and I rented in Cebu City. It was a sunny day and I had to catch my flight. I tried hard not to cry on the way to the airport and while in the airport. 

As I hugged my father and sister before going to the check in desks, reality was slowly dawning to me. The immigration officer who checked my passport and papers spooked me out as she was apprehensive of letting me pass through. Thailand at that time was having a political unrest and there I was itching to get into the country. Assuring her that the place I was going to did not have any safety issues, she stamped my passport and allowed me to board the plane.

While on the flight towards my first layover in Singapore, I kept thinking of the people I left and the "routine" life I had. It was exciting and scary at the same time to venture into the unknown opportunities waiting for me. I landed in Phuket at around 9pm. It took me around 30 minutes to find the driver that my employer sent for me.

The first few days in the city was not that bad. My friend, Mel, took me to some of the popular places. This was taken in Patong Beach.


Banana Walk still in Patong.


I thought I found my knight in shining armor. 



One of the advantages of living and working abroad is that one can broaden horizons by meeting a lot of people from different cultural backgrounds. The opportunity to know their foreign customs and taste their delicious cuisines too. I also have learned to value and miss the food that I have taken for granted back home. Hearing people talking in foreign languages do not amaze me anymore. I just learned to put those sounds as background noises and instead focus on listening to words that I can understand.

Truly, there is no place like home. Meanwhile, let me make most of my time here to work and enjoy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment