Looking for something? Look it up here!

Thursday, January 21, 2016

My First Solo Backpacking Trip

I've read about articles pointing out that solo backpacking is fun. I was not convinced of this before. Travelling with a friend or two is what I am used to. And for me whose talking most of the time, I imagined it difficult to strike a conversation with complete strangers.


Browsing through Airasiago, I saw that they had a package price for return flights and 3 days 2 nights at a hotel in Hanoi. I was afraid to give it a shot but finally decided to book it. 

I arrived at Don Meuang International Airport at around 5am. Checking in was a breeze as I used one of the check in kiosks at the entrance. As it was still early, the immigration had only a few on queue. 

While waiting for boarding, I chatted with another passenger. He was travelling to Hanoi to refresh his Thailand visa. It was his second time to Hanoi. We went on discussing about what he was doing in Thailand and how was his previous Hanoi trip. He was kind to ask me if I already have a booked accommodation. I told him that I did have one and in fact arranged for a taxi to pick me up. 

Upon arriving at Hanoi, I looked for my name in the countless names being waived by taxi drivers. I looked twice and even thrice but cannot seem to find it. Finally, I went with my new found friend to catch the airport to town mini bus for 100,000VND (4.46 USD). 

My original hotel transferred me to its sister hotel as my room was still unavailable. Golden Time Hostel 2 was where I was assigned. They even upgraded me to a big room with private bath and toilet. It was too big for a solo backpacker like me but the comfort I had made me very happy.






The receptionist was very kind to me. He gave me a map of the vicinity and even told me where to get cheap local lunch. A few steps from my hotel was a small food joint where low tables and chairs were placed on the walkway. The tables were joined together and so it appeared long. Here I was with my seatmates who gamely posed for a selfie.


I just asked the lady vendor for chicken and rice and a peach drink. 


Suddenly, a guy sat in front of me and ordered food as well. It was awkward eating with someone else at a very close proximity. While we did so, all of a sudden our tables were removed and we had to carry our dishes and drinks. I was utterly confused.


Next, we were all asked to give up our chairs and to walk a few steps ahead. What really happened was that the police came and reprimanded the owners for setting up the store in the walkway. Later did I know that space rentals were so expensive and this is why they rent the small space and place tables and chairs outside. We sat on a small store's stairs and continued to eat our lunch. Just had to take a selfie to mark this funny and confusing experience.


More of my Hanoi trip soon! Thank you for reading and 'til my next blog!






No comments:

Post a Comment