Looking for something? Look it up here!

Monday, December 7, 2015

Ayutthaya to Chiang Mai by Train

My friend and I planned beforehand that we'd take a sleeper train from Ayutthaya to Chiang Mai. I was especially excited because it was my first time. With high recommendations from a certain blog that I am also following, I booked through 12go.asia for our train ride. I had to provide our details to their website and the following day their staff would buy the ticket on the train station. It was fast and easy as I was able to get a confirmation that the tickets were ready on the next day. One thing that disappointed me was that I had to send a couple of emails to remind them that they have to send it by mail to me here in Phuket. I was anxious but thankfully I got the mail 3 days before I was to depart to Bangkok.


The train originated in Bangkok and since there were no tickets from Ayutthaya to Chiang mai, it did not matter that our train ticket was marked Bangkok - Chiang mai. 

Our train was Train 13 which was supposed to arrive in Ayutthaya station at 2107H. We arrived at the station at around 2030H because we didn't want to be late.


A few minutes after we got to the station, the station masters announced that the train was delayed and will be arriving about 40 minutes after the expected time. No wonder our guesthouse staff told us not to worry on being late because the train was also late! With nothing to do but wait, we managed to make friends with a couple from Germany who was also travelling the same route. I'm amazed with the travel stories that they shared when they were in Europe. I wish I could go there someday.

When the train was approaching, the station masters asked us to stand on the second platform. They were very helpful in letting us know where our assigned car would be. I took this photo while standing and waiting for the train to arrive.


When the train arrived and we got on it, I was sad to see that the berths were already made. All we had to do was find our berth numbers. It was quite difficult as the numbers were written on the curtains. If the curtains were not stretched, it won't be seen. 


We found our assigned berths and immediately settled our things. There was enough spaces for our bags to be placed either near us or across us. The staff were eager to help the passengers. Also, a staff was asking if we would like to have some breakfast served by morning. My friend just ordered Milo for his morning drink. I didn't reserve anything as I still had a sandwich and water.

I was assigned the top berth which was smaller compared to the lower one. I would have wanted the lower one because it has a window view when morning would come. Anyways, it didn't matter because I slept right away. It was very cold in our train car and it would have been nice if I got my socks. Once in a while, I would wake up when the train either encounters a curve track or stops, nevertheless I had a comfortable sleep.


The next morning, I went down to the lower berth to wake my friend up. He said he was not able to sleep well. While he was waiting for his hot drink to be given, we just stared at the beautiful scenery unfolding to us through the window. 


We passed fields and mountains as well as other train stations.



We took a selfie while eating. We sent it to a friend and wished she accompanied us for this trip.


The train staff was slowly converting the berths to become chairs again. Glad I was able to see how it was done. It was cool. I figured she needed those muscles to turn over and fold the upper bed.


An hour later, we arrived at Chiang Mai train station. I was in shock. I thought that since we departed late in Ayutthaya, we would arrive late or by mid morning in Chiang mai. It was around 9 am when the train signaled it's arrival. It was surreal to have survived my first sleeper train ride. Not that it was terrifying instead it was fun and memorable for me.


He had to have something to remind him of his sleepless train ride.


Walking out from the platforms, this confirms that we have arrived in the correct station. I was so happy and excited.


It was perfect that a big booth wherein tourists can get a city map was directly visible before the station's exit. We lined up to get one. The staff asked us where our hotel was and he encircled it on the map. We figured the hotel is not far from the station so we just walked towards it. 

When we were out of the station, I felt the cold air hit my skin. The temperature was about 24 degrees Celsius. A far cry from the usual 30 degree Celsius weather we had down South. It was like walking outside but with airconditioning around. Well, it was the coldest place I've been into so far.




We found our hotel only in a few minutes. It was very near this iron bridge. Our hotel is Riverside Bed and Breakfast and since our room was not yet ready, the kind receptionist provided us with a map and told us where we can head to eat and exchange currencies.

When it was time for us to check in, we settled our things and freshened up to be ready for our first tour in Chiang mai. It was to be our tour to see Doi Suthep Temple.

Thank you and 'til next blog!












No comments:

Post a Comment