Looking for something? Look it up here!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Weekend at Phi Phi Island

So, I really missed going on a solo backpack and decided I can do it by going to another island. This time, I chose Phi Phi Islands.


This group of Islands is between Phuket and the west strait of Malacca. I booked for a return ferry ride to Koh Phi Phi Don, the largest and most populated of this group of islands. It cost me around 600THB for the return trip which also included land transfers to pick me up and drop me off from where I reside in Phuket. 

Upon arrival at the Rassada pier in Phuket, the van driver gave me a sticker to put on my shirt. This will signal to what boat or group I will belong to.



The ferry was full with most passengers bringing their luggage to the island. These bags were piled up outside while the guests can choose to be either in the air-conditioned area or outside and under the direct heat of the sun.


The journey to the island was about 2 hours. We docked at Ton Sai Bay, which was a very busy port. Right after I stepped out of the boat, I saw my friend, Jackie, who is working as a tour guide. Unfortunately, I can't be with her during her sleep aboard tour because I booked for a dorm room to stay in the island for a night. Maybe the next time I come, I will  try her tour.


Upon entering the island, guests were asked to pay 20THB. The ticket receipt says it is a fee for the parking or cleaning.


My dorm room was just a few steps from the pier and was not difficult to find. After settling my things and freshening up, I went to have a walk around. I went to the other part of the island which was Loh Dalum Bay. It is a quiet place with lesser number of boats. Stretches of white sands can be seen with only a few bars or restaurants. It was low tide when I went there, so it was not that nice.



At night, the area transforms into a lively place. There were fire dancers showing their moves. Drinks can be purchased either from the bars or at the nearest 7-11 stores.These can then be enjoyed while sitting on the sand. Here's a short clip.


The next morning, I woke up early and did some trekking towards the viewpoint. I decided to see the second viewpoint first. It was so hot and it took me about 40 minutes towards the top. But the view was rewarding indeed!



On the way down to the first viewpoint, I relaxed and took the cemented pathway. 


When I went back to town, there was no electricity and water at the dorm. It was so humid. I decided to eat brunch at one of the few restaurants that had a generator. These power outages are commonly scheduled and well disseminated throughout the island.

Before I went back to Phuket, I had time to chill and enjoy the sun at Long Beach.


I know I could have done more activities while in Phi Phi Don. I saw a lot of booths offering afternoon tours to Maya Bay and other small islets. Maybe I will be back soon. Thank you for reading and 'til next blog. 

2 comments:

  1. Phi Phi Island is pretty outstanding and breathtaking place where people throng from all corner of the globe especially for its beautiful beaches, stunning rock formations and vibrant turquoise waters. It seems that your trip was amazing, thanks for sharing the trip and photos with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phi Phi island tour from Phuket

    Make the most of limited time in Thailand on a speedboat tour of the Phi Phi islands from Phuket. This is the most popular tour-experience in Thailand and a 'must' for first-time visitors to the Land of Smiles.

    to get more - Phiphiislandtourfromphuket.com

    ReplyDelete