Looking for something? Look it up here!

Monday, January 2, 2017

Sisay Grandchildren's Association (SIGA) Get Together

photo courtesy of Sunday Seth Atuel

My grandmother, Teresa or Sisay for short, had quite a number of children and grandchildren which includes me. I'm glad that my cousins took the time to organize a yearly get together and I got the chance to join them this time.

Our SIGA get together happened last 29 December 2016 at Pebble Beach, Surigao City. The family rented around 2 jeepneys to take the whole family and it was a 2 hour drive from our humble barrio. Road trip is not boring with these number of kids unless they start to fall asleep haha!

photo courtesy of Floremae Ungab

I arrived later than all of them because I just came back from Cebu City. When I arrived, the family already occupied and rented 4 cottages (pictured at our back). I surely missed the other reunions and bondings but this time I was happy to spend time with all. 

photo courtesy of Floremae Ungab

True to its name, the beach had a lot of stones and pebbles on it. It was painful to run to the shore barefoot so we chose to wear our slippers even in the waters. 


The kids enjoyed staying long hours in the water supervised by an adult or two while some adults chose to prepare the food and the program. I used to do this as a child, too. I ran to the water the minute we get off from the car and get off the water only when hungry haha!

photo courtesy of Floremae Ungab

Swimming and frolicking lasted until the sun went down. Sunset at the beach is always breathtaking. 

Our meals were shared on a long table and evryone can go round and get as much as one wants. Its always nice to share food and eat with relatives. Although the food was not a lot, it was enough and filling for all. 

photo courtesy of Floremae Ungab

In the evening, we were all asked to sit down in a bigger cottage to have fellowship with each family member. My cousins welcomed those who attended the reunion for the first time (which includes me). We also reminisced and prayed for our family members who have departed this life. 

Never a dull moment with the kids. 

photo courtesy of Floremae Ungab

Because we were still feeling the Christmas air, we had gift giving and exchanging gifts. It was fun to wait for names to be called for the prizes. All of us also enjoyed playing some parlor games like pass the message and bring me. 

photo courtesy of Floremae Ungab

Our aunts and uncles were each given a mug as a tribute/ Christmas gift which looked like this. 


After all the games and gifts were given, each family then prepared the tents to sleep in. I can say that my relatives are already well versed with putting up tents because we usually have beach overnight reunions every 2 years for the last 10 years. And yet, we don't get tired of the beach and of the fellowship. 

photo courtesy of Floremae Ungab

In the morning, we continued eating, swimming and singing to some karaoke songs. But more importantly, we did not forget to have a morning devotion and business meeting for the upcoming planned clan/ family activities. 


It was indeed a short and sweet time to bond with my cousins, nephews, nieces, uncles and aunts. I'm glad we have this event every year to unwind and get away from the busy adult lives that we lead. Thank you, Lord for the gift of time and family.

Thank you for reading and 'til next blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment